A glorious Monday to all and now, week 2 begins! Today is my long day (9:15-6:30 + chapter at 7), so we shall see how things pan out. In high school I used to pack my lunches at night. Yeah, it hasn’t worked out quite as nicely here in college, but I’m going to try to be a little more organized. At least this week. So, I’ve started to separate overnight oats ingredients for breakfast, vegetables and salad ingredients for lunches, fun snack packs, and plan out specific food experiment dinners.
First off, a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my madre. 🙂 We have had so many fun adventures together, many races recently. Enjoy your day and sending lots of love.
So, back to my meals. In the process of planning my meals for the week, I decided to get creative and make myself a little breakfast treat. Who says you can’t splurge with a little coconut yogurt bread? It would certainly pair nicely with a mound of yogurt on top or maybe as a mid-morning snack.
This recipe started from a recipe off twitter and merged slightly with some other recipes found on pinterest. I decided to create half of a recipe since it was only for me and I didn’t want to get sick of it too quickly. Make just enough for the week and I’m golden.
Serves about 4-5 slices
1 lage egg
1/2 cup + 1/8 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup flour (wheat for me)
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
~3/4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
3 tbsp Greek yogurt (substitute for butter)
cooking spray for pan
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Start to add the sugar and coconut.
3. Slowly add in the egg mixture, mix, then add the yogurt. Try not to overmix (not sure how long this is, but maybe just a few seconds)
4. Grease a loaf pan and pour the batter in. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I’m still working on taking the best food pictures, something that happens to be much more difficult than I imagined. I know it has something to do with the lighting and let’s be honest, taking a picture of my food inside my apartment even with the shades open, isn’t the most conducive atmosphere. So, it’s a work in progress 🙂
So as for meals for the week. Hmmm, this is a dilemma because I never really can plan where I am going to be. Instead of writing it in stone (wow, ancient technique…let’s say pen), I’ll just plan what I’d like to make this week or the weeks to come.
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan (never had it but boy do I love eggplant)
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- Quinoa & Cheese w/ Broccoli (or better yet…cauliflower & cheese)
- Walnut crusted salmon w/ asparagus
- Baked peppers w/ quinoa and some delicious mozzarella
- BBQ Chicken w/ Coleslaw (or something of the liking)
- Cauliflower pizza crust
- Some Tex-Mex. Not sure yet, but it’s a classic.
What do you like to eat for dinner?
“The great challenge of adulthood is holding on to your idealism after you lose your innocence.” – Bruce Springsteen