We all are quite familiar with peanut butter and all it’s glory. In fact, there was one day last week that was actually National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day. But why can’t sunbutter get a little more love? Between eating it by the spoonful, scooping it on my pancakes, banana, or celery, sunbutter certainly gets enough attention in my apartment. I first was hooked on the stuff when my sister picked up a jar from the store. It’s a nice change of pace from the regular peanut butter and even if one is tired from almond or other nut butter. Actually, it
So, in the process of snacking, I decided to utilize part of my jar in a new recipe. The original thought was sunbutter blondies with dark chocolate chips. I didn’t exactly have all the correct ingredients, but I went with it. Typical of me and my
lazy spontaneous baking habits 😉
Sunflowerbutter (Chocolate Chip) Blondies
makes ~ 16 bars
1 cup nut butter (for me – mix of sunflower & pb)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup low-fat milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cake flour (provided a lighter/fluffier texture)
1/2 – 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I used a chocolate bar) 🙂
Optional: extra nuts (peanuts) or peanut butter chips for oomph
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a 8×8-inchsquare baking pan with parchment paper. In a bowl, mix nut butter, eggs, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla until completely smooth.
2. Start to add in the baking powder. Mix in completely.
3. Add in the two flours and blend thoroughly.
4. Add in the chocolate or other chips.
5. Pour into the pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cut and serve. Enjoy with or without a tall, cold glass of milk.
Look at that gooey goodness.
“Freedom lies in being bold.”
– Robert Frost