I may or may not have stumbled upon a new favorite recipe – homemade graham crackers. Meghan is actually the one who discovered these gems and it was with a little love and care in the kitchen that we created our most recent experiment…hippo-grahams.
So I have a certain love for hippos, a trend dating back to my senior year in high school, and Meghan has a love for graham crackers. I swear, she is the connoisseur and has tried every style from HoneyMaid to Trader Joe’s and beyond.
Oh, side note: my birthday present from Meghan? A HIPPO necklace 🙂 I’m proud to say another piece of jewelry has made the daily cut. I can be a creature of habit and wear the same pieces every day. So far it’s a pair of earrings (rotating between turquoise, pearls, or hearts), silver bracelet, Livestrong, and turquoise ring. It must be all the time I spent in high school playing sports, where we weren’t allowed to wear jewelry and it became a hassle to take it off every day before practice. So, while I try my best to wear statement pieces, I just forget.
Back to the hippos and more importantly, graham crackers. These were quite simple to put together and would be fun in any shape or size. In fact, they would be beyond delicious for summer s’mores, ice cream sandwiches, or even an afternoon snack. Meghan’s favorite is usually a bit of nut butter with a few chocolate chips or a dollap of cinnamon butter.
Honey Graham Crackers
~12 crackers/shaped cookies
(note: recipe split in half and adapted from The Stock Pot)
- ¼ cup agave
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour, (+little for rolling)
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 7Tbsp cold, unsalted butter
- For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Mix the honey, milk, molasses and vanilla in a small bowl and stir until smooth.
- In a food processor, add in flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and brown sugar. Pulse to combine.
- Start to add in the butter and continue to mix until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add in the honey/milk mixture and pulse just until the dough forms.
- Place the dough on a floured cutting board or piece of parchment paper. Divide the dough in half and wrap in plastic. Place in the fridge until the dough is firm ~2 hours. (We used the freezer for a bit to speed the process up)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Roll the dough on a floured board into a rectangle about ⅛-inch thick. You can either cut the dough into different shapes or into 2-inch squares.
- Put the cookies on a baking sheet, place in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Poke the tops of the cookies with the tines of a fork. Mix the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over each cookie. Bake until golden brown, ~ 8 minutes.
- Cool and then enjoy 🙂
Do you like graham crackers? Any strange or unique combinations?