My first thoughts when writing this post were “I wonder who created the Liebster Award?” and “what the heck does Liebster mean?”. After I did some blog surfing, I came up with no really solid answers except that “Liebster” is greatest in German. Ok, I didn’t try that hard but it’s been a really fun way to celebrate the joys of blogging and get to know other bloggers.
Just as I finished writing up Tuesdays’s post about what makes me happy and the #100HappyDays challenge, I read my friend Carrie’s post, which happened to touch upon happiness. You know that saying “Great minds think alike”? Well, I swear it’s true.
Carrie is one of my top blogger (and now friend) role models. She is outgoing, hard working, and always up for an adventure. I bookmark so many of her posts – from happiness to the dark side of perfection, it’s safe to say she knows how to express herself (and what a lot of us are feeling). Seriously, the places she has been, steps she has taken and let me say that she is only 22! She was kind enough to nominate this blog for the Liebster Award, which many of you may be familiar with.
Carrie thought of some pretty solid questions and honestly it’s going to be tough to answer them to the fullest. I say this because I swear I could carry on a day-long conversation or ramble for hours about each one.
1) one thing that can always make you happy no matter what? – laughing. This can be from a stupid television show (America’s Funniest Home Videos) or even a good television show (SNL has its moments), giggling with my girlfriends, cracking up over good times or spur of the moment decisions, or even laughing at myself. I laugh on roller coasters and cannot keep a straight face in some serious situations. (The latter might be a problem…oops)
2) favorite season and why? – I get pretty stoked for every season – the decorating, the change in food obsessions, and of course the switch-up of wardrobes. But, the following reasons make me say spring: 1 – I’m a spring baby so duh. 2 – It used to mean spring break and the anticipation of summer. 3 – There’s just this feeling in the air when it’s spring; it’s hard to explain but the crisp morning air, perfect for sweater and shorts with flowers blooming all around. Most of my favorite memories come from when I was younger and now that I no longer have a spring break or summer break, we shall see if my mood remains as cheerful 😉 I’m hoping I can finagle someone into going to D.C. to see the Cherry Blossom festival with me!
3) if you could eat any meal from any restaurant regardless of price or proximity in the world to you what would it be? – stumped. only because I don’t have a favorite meal/dish/restaurant. First world problems, I know. I’m a happy camper with oodles of vegetables (hold the mushrooms and olives), breads like sourdough, cibatta, and popovers, and of course I can’t forget my sweets (mostly ice cream, froyo, and cheesecake). Confession – I had to consult my sister on this question and we agree that it depends on the mood you are in. Best burger – Back Abbey, Claremont, California. Solid steak/fish at the Chophouse, Pasadena. Classic Italian pizza at Tarantinos, Pasadena. Excellent mud pie at Chucks Waterfront Grill, Santa Barbara, California.
That being said, there are also classic meals that I miss from home – homemade pizza, taco bar, enchiladas, Bristol Farms kabobs, etc.
4) 3 of the biggest influences in your life? – #1 Straight up I’m going for the cliche answer – family. I truly admire how creative my mom is, how strategic my dad is, and how logical my sister is. We have our moments just like any other family but the amount that my parents have traveled, the things they have achieved in their lives is inspiring. As for Megnan, she keeps me sane and is one heck of a student and athlete.
Other than that, I admire the people who remain positive and optimistic, no matter what gets them down, as well as the anticipation of the future. Quite cliche but that’s the truth.
5) something you always have to do every night before you can go to bed? – Check my phone? Paaathetic and I’m trying to work myself out of this. Lately I’ve been brewing myself a cup of chamomile tea or Trader Joe’s peppermint green tea (non-caffinated). I’ve tried to pick up my mom’s habit of saying a little prayer before hopping into bed but I usually say it when I get under the covers. Still counts, right?
6) next place on your list to travel to? – Gosh I have oodles of lists but I actually need to pick a place and GO. Might end up being San Francisco actually. I’m planning to spend some quality time with this book, “1,000 Places to See Before You Die” (gift from my roommate) and start planning something.
7) favorite thing about were you live right now? – How much there is to do and SEE. I love having a relatively passive commute. It takes about 20-30 minutes door to door and I get to read the newspaper, listen to music, and people watch, rather than sit in my car feeling miserable about life and traffic. Also, I sound like a broken record but I adore the hustle and bustle. There’s always something happening and you really never feel alone.
8) what you’re thankful for right this minute? – Does my Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee count? I’m actually extremely thankful for having such a supportive family – immediate and extended – thoughtful best friends (now on both coasts!), a job with great coworkers/bosses/environment, and the opportunities to live in such a city and do what I want, when I want. These are all things I mention in my prayers every night.
9) where do you picture your life 5 years from now? – Happy and healthy and doing something I love. Not too hard to ask for, right? Honestly I could not have told you this time last year that I’d be in this place. I wanted to be in New York but that’s all I knew. Dare I say #yolo?
10) something you want to be remembered for? – My enthusiasm. For people, friends, family, traveling, life, giving back/to others, baking, eating, working out, meeting new people, learning, crafting, exploring, etc. I could go on for days. No really…daaaaaays.
I’m twisting the rules (if there even are legit rules) and jotting down six bloggers simply because six is my favorite number. I also want to spread the love around and celebrate as many fabulous bloggers as possible! Apologies if you’ve already received it, share your story and keep the chain going 🙂
Piece of Cait
In It 4 The Long Run
Not So Perfect Life
Treats and Sneaks
Just Call Me Janks
Also, because imitation is the greatest form of flattery, I’m using Carrie’s questions so enjoy!
1) one thing that can always make you happy no matter what?
2) favorite season and why?
3) if you could eat any meal from any restaurant regardless of price or proximity in the world to you what would it be?
4) 3 of the biggest influences in your life?
5) something you always have to do every night before you can go to bed?
6) next place on your list to travel to?
7) favorite thing about were you live right now?
8) what you’re thankful for right this minute?
9) where do you picture your life 5 years from now?
10) something you want to be remembered for?