For my last birthday, one of my best friends sent me a 3-month Birchbox subscription. So it really was the gift that just kept giving 🙂 I was able to select the areas in which I was interested in – perfumes, snacks, hair products, etc. – and they included itty-bitty trial products in each box. As a part of my last Birchbox, I found a booklet of challenges, which seemed pretty inspiring, so I here I am to share some with you.
1. Write It Down – Keeping a workout log, eating log, or “list for success” can make type A personalities such as myself happy 🙂 It also is a way to recommit to your routine and keep pushing for more! I usually have 10 random post-its among my planner and iPhone calendar. Enough to keep me sane, don’t you think?
2. Part Ways – Whether it’s with some bad habits or maybe just changing your hair part, why not try something new? I took a big leap and had my hair trimmed about three-four inches. Part Your Hair Differently – Changing the part could help add volume! – Right now my hair is too short for my liking (not that you usually see it down anyways) but maybe changing my part will help make me feel better about it.
3. Eat Veggies For Breakfast – We all know how tough it can be to consume the recommended 2.5 cups of vegetables. Sure, a salad for breakfast may not be the most appealing, but there are ways around this and will certainly get you pumped up for the day.
~ Green juices (find one with some veggies and maybe an apple for sweetness) ~ Kale/spinach in your smoothies ~ Farmer’s market frittata/omelette ~ avocado atop toast with some arugula/tomato ~
4. Get Out of Your Color Comfort Zone – Did you know women used to have their colors done? As in find out which color palate worked best for their complexion and hair? It’s also almost time to bring out the fall weather gear so get excited and maybe re-organize your closet!
~ Adding blue to your weekly wardrobe or makeup (try eyeliner) will help to tone down redness and make the whites of your eyes even brighter ~
5. Sit Smarter – Slouching can zap your energy and your mood – this could lead to muscle fatigue, pain and possibly injury. No bueno and yes, I’m GUILTY as charged. My posture is absolutely atrocious and I know this.
– Sit towards the front of your chair with your hips tilted forward
– Plant both feet on the ground, hip-width apart, and toes pointed straight ahead
– Keep your chin parallel to the floor, with your eyes over your shoulders, and shoulders over your hips
6. Skip the Mirror – Yes, from bathroom mirrors to those sneaky windows in stores. They are everywhere. A study found that staring at your reflection for up to 10 minutes increases anxiety. So, try to focus more on how you feel rather than how you look. And remember, confidence is sexy.
7. Sleep More – Oh boy, this NEEDS to happen in my life. Ready for total-body wellbeing? Add a few more shut-eye hours and it could help turn your day around. Plus it might help clear up any acne or skin/digestive issues! Fancy that!
~ Try setting your alarm 5 minutes early each week. If you want to start working out in the morning, test this method here as well! ~
~ Skip caffeine in the afternoon and evenings as it will last in your system for over 12 hours ~
~ Keep your bedroom clear of any bright gadgets and turn the temp to 65-70F~
Sweet Dreams 🙂
8. Take a Cold Shower – Gradually turning the temp can help with circulation, boost your immune system, and increase your metabolism. Plus, turning down the temp can help stimulate parts of your brain that are associated with mood. Just like setting your alarm, test the water gradually. For an added bonus, taking a cold shower post-sweat can help prevent muscle fatigue and soreness.
*Information based from July’s Birchbox challenge guide
What are some of your challenges?